On this page we acknowledge the importance of worship, review the importance of Guitar worship tutorials, why guitar is a great instrument for Christian’s to learn, why online Guitar worship tutorials are a great idea and what to look for when looking for the best Christian worship guitar lessons.
We then take it a step further as having researched many of the available resources and provide you with our recommendation on the subject to save you the time and effort reviewing this yourself.
A Christian Perspective
Worship is fundamental to a Christian’s relationship with God and in their Christian walk, as in worship we respond to God in our hearts, giving him adoration and acknowledgement for who he is and what he has done.
All the way through the bible we are given examples of people engaging in worship through songs and with instruments and recommended and advised to do the same, some examples are below.
“Sing to God, sing praises to his name;lift up a song to him who rides through the deserts;his name is the Lord;exult before him!Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation.” (Psalm 68 vs. 4–5)
“Praise the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary;praise him in his mighty heavens. Praise him for his acts of power;praise him for his surpassing greatness. Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,praise him with the harp and lyre,praise him with tambourine and dancing,praise him with the strings and pipe,praise him with the clash of cymbals,praise him with resounding cymbals.Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord. (Psalm 150)
“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”(Colossians 3:16)
Why the Guitar and why Lessons?
The beauty of the guitar is in many ways it is seen as a lead instrument, so you do not need to reply on other instruments to take you through a song, of course other instruments add different aspects to a song, but often a guitar and vocals are enough.
The guitar is one of those instruments that can be self-taught and many Christians do teach themselves to a very good standard. You do not necessarily need to be able to read music, understand keys or even play all the exact chords to play or engage in worship on a guitar. So you will find that many people learn a few chords, learnt a song or two and have built from there, this is possible, however you often find that there is a limit to your self-learning.
So if you are wanting to learn from scratchor you have been playing for a while, there is always more to be learnt, and simple tips and tricks to save you time and effort, so if you find someone that understands more than you, it is always advisable to learn from them.
There are many guitar teachers out there however it is always advisable when considering the desire to learn worship songs on guitar to find a Christian worship guitar course or teacher, as they will be aware of the other aspects that effect worship and provide the space in song worship to engage with God on a deeper level.
“Address one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart. “ (Ephesians 5:19)
The importance of worship and the aid of instruments in this is quite clear.
The Benefits of online Guitar worship tutorials
Many people will always recommend that you have face to face lessons, and there are benefits to this as this does make sure you carve out the time to learn and practice, however if this is not an issue for you there can be a lot more benefits from online Guitar worship tutorials, some of these are listed below:
- You can learn in our own time (As it can be difficult finding a time that both you and a guitar tutor can do)
- You can learn at your own rate (whilst this is also true with face to face lessons you may feel internal pressure to progress faster)
- You can repeat an area or lesson again and again without embarrassment (this is a big deal, as a lot of people after a few times of being explained something will naturally feel embarrassed to keep being shown it. Where with online video lessons you can repeat again and again without this embarrassment)
- online guitar worship tutorials are generally cheaper than personal face to face tuition
- You or a tutor does not have to travel for the lesson (Unless you are using video conferencing, and therefore you may as well be using an online worship tutorial)
- You are not bound by location (You can learn anywhere in the world as long as you have access to a guitar and the internet)
What to look for when selecting an online Guitar worship tutorial or course
Below we have provided some pointers of what to look for when considering online worship guitar lessons for both beginners and advanced stages.
When selecting the Christian worship guitar course or worship guitar lessons, for beginners, ensure the teaching covers:
- Learning about all the parts of the guitar, what they do and their importance
- Fundamentals like holding the pick, guitar, and your general posture
- Warmup exercises that will help loosen muscles (to help play longer and easier)
- The teaching of basic chords, how to hold these properly, simple memory exercises to help recall chords with ease and chord changing exercises
- The learning of different strumming patterns
- The simplifying of difficult chords (or as some would say a cheat chord system)
- The mastering of barre chords.
For Advanced Guitarist
When selecting the Christian worship guitar course or worship guitar lessons, for advanced users, ensure the teaching covers:
- Guitar accuracy exercises for extra precision and skill.
- New Chord Voicings (allowing you to effortlessly cruise up and down the guitar neck)
- Dynamic Guitar Techniques (leaning how to transform any song or chord progression from dull to exciting and impressive)
- Song and chords adaption (to help create and maintain certain moods and support emotional direction)
- Techniques to find any note on the guitar with a simplified system
- Discovering Octaves (how you can apply them to any song)
- Understanding of Power Chords (and how you can combine them with open chords to “break open” the song)
- Fingerpicking patterns (making any chord or song sound beautiful with easy to follow steps)
- Useful rhythm guitar riffs and step by step guitar walks
- Dynamic sliding, hammer-ons, pull offs.
Our recommendation from the research conducted!
We have researched different options for online Christian worship guitar courses guitar worship tutorials and have found that Play Worship guitar covers all the points listed for both beginners and advanced users, as well as being identified as good value for money. This therefore is our recommendation for our suggested online Christian worship guitar course.
If you have found this information useful or know someone who is considering learning worship guitar or improving existing skills then please send them this URL or post it on social media. Thank you!