We have carried out extensive research into the things you need to consider when selecting parental control software for Christians, saving you the legwork and time.
A Christian Perspective on Parental Control Software
There is much to say in the bible about walking the narrow path of Christianity and the struggles we each face, however parental control software has a preventative nature which helps us and our family remain on the narrow path. Two scriptures come to mind when thinking about this subject, both from the words that Jesus himself spoke as recorded in the gospel of Matthew.
- “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil” (Matthew 6:13) – embedded into Jesus teaching on prayer, Jesus highlighted again the need for help and support in this area, so any software to aid this online will surely help.
- “If anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.” (Matthew 18:6) – Jesus highlights in a strong way the importance of not causing others to stumble, if we can use software to help ensure that we and our family are prevented from temptation online then surely this is worth doing!
Why Parents and Guardians Need Christian Parental Control Software!
In this era of modern technology, the accessibility and use of smartphones, tablets and other computer devices have greatly increased. According to one statistical report, the use of smartphone users have increased worldwide from 1.57 billion in 2014 to 2.53 billion users in 2018 and are forecasted to reach 2.87 billion users by 2020. These numbers are inclusive of adults, teenagers and children even as young as 7 years old. Yes, that’s right! It’s not hard to believe now days that the average number of technical gadgets a child owns is 3 gadgets! Most parents allow their children easy access to mobile phones and tablets, whether this be for educational or leisure related purposes. But as a parent, do you know what your children actually have access to and actual encounter? If not then read the below and consider getting Christian internet blocking software.
The Internet provides unlimited information that is instantly available anytime of the day and has now become an essential part of our daily lives. It is a useful tool for learning and connecting with the world. Nevertheless, this modern innovation that provides so much access does have its risks and dangers for our children if this is not monitored and set up correctly with Christian internet filters.
The potential risks for children on the Internet include:
- Easy access for children to inappropriate and adult rated content.
- Ability to connect with strangers and online predators lurking in chat rooms and through instant messaging services.
- Exposure to hackers, spammers and identity theft.
- Unhealthy over indulgence on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others.
- Spending too much time on online gaming and other applications.
- Risk of tech addiction. A child spending a lot of their time on their phones and tablets become dependent on these gadgets and tend to neglect their life and relationships in the real world.
- Children are more vulnerable to cyber bullying and online name-calling, which could have serious emotional consequences. About 42 percent of young people report being bullied online, of which some of the cases have sadly lead to teenage suicide.
- The use of internet cookies makes it easier for children to accidentally purchase online.
Fortunately, Christian parental control software provides a useful tool to easily monitor and limit online activities.Providing parents and guardians more peace of mind, when considering the threats that the internet can bring.
Exceptional Christian parental control software should include the following features:
- Real time online activity monitoring– Using a Christian internet filter with real time content control features allows you to block access to sites immediately in real time.
- Time control features – This allows you to set a time schedule or to set limits on each device or per user for how much internet time is allowed each day. This feature helps parents and guardians to ensure internet and online gaming time is limited, providing them time to undertake their homework, studies and undertake other recreational activities.
- Device tracking– this feature allow you to track your child’s devices on a map using the location tracking feature, some software even gives the ability to adda panic button to your child’s smartphone that sends you location-based alerts when there’s trouble.
- Advanced Facebook Monitoring tools–Allowing you to view status updates, pictures, friends and more on social networks.
- Call tracking and blocking– that let you see who your child calls most and be able to block unwanted numbers.
- Text tracking and blocking – See who your child texts most, read text messages and set a list of blocked contacts.
Although some of these features can be found in free software, we always advise for parents to look at affordable paid software as free software often offers limited protection and could be more easily stopped or altered without your knowledge.
Most important 5 things you need to know when selecting the best Christian internet blocking software:
- A typical family owns between 5 to 15 devices inclusive of smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops. As some children may have access to all of these, it is best to select software that can protect multiple devices.
- Select software that is compatible with the most popular operating systems such as Windows, Android, iOS, Mac and Kindle. So if your child is using an Android phone but using windows on a laptop, this will ensure both devices can be protected and synced without the need to install different software for each device.
- Get software with extended reporting of device usage history. This allows you both more time to review and also gives you more information to review all at once.
- Select user-friendly Christian internet filter with apps that can be easily installed on to the parent’s smartphones or that give easy access to a web-based family portal dashboard. Providing the ability to monitor activities and track time usage quickly in real, providing up-to-date information at a click of a button.
- Get Christian parental control software that offers premium level features (as listed above) to ensure you are equipped with the best information to protect your family.
Our recommendation from the research conducted!
We have taken on board our own advice and researched the market (to save you the time and headache) and have come up with our recommendation.
After researching and reviewing different software (to save you the time and headache). We would highly recommend the Qustodio Premium Family Plan as our view on the best internet filter for Christians out there, as it includes all of the features highlighted above at what we feel is a really reasonable yearly cost.
Every family is unique and whether you use Christian internet blocking software or not please be aware of the continued potential threats of the internet and how using Christian parental control software can help limit these threats.
Remember that parents and guardians do not need to be tech-savvy to safeguard their children in the online world. Just put in place good measures and tracking and you will always have the peace of mind that your children are safe and protected during their online experiences.
We hope this has been useful. If so, please share this page on social media to help support others.