Most shampoo today is sold in liquid form, packaged in plastic bottles or packets which contribute greatly to the volume of single-use plastic waste in landfill or could end up contributing to the increasing plastic waste problem in our seas and oceans.
Furthermore, a lot of liquid shampoos are synthetic, with a host of harsh cleaning ingredients such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfates, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Mureth Sulfate, and Siloxanes, amongst others. These synthetic substances can be harmful to the environment.
There are also potential impacts on our own bodies too! As some synthetic substances have been known to draw moisture out of the scalp causing dryness and irritation or known to weaken the hair eventually making it brittle. Others can reduce the size of hair follicles eventually causing hair loss, also some fragrances have endocrine-disrupting chemicals which are harmful to the body that can be absorbed by the skin in the scalp.
It is therefore important to consider some other natural and more environmentally friendly options, thank the liquid shampoo we have become so accustomed too! That’s why we love the solid plastic-free shampoo bars!
Solid plastic-free natural shampoo bars are often made from plant oils, herb extracts and botanical essential oils formulated for their therapeutic value and mild natural fragrance. Studies show that natural shampoo bars give the following benefits:
- The solid plastic-free shampoo bars are environmentally friendly and do not add to the ongoing plastic waste problems, often packaged in biodegradable or recyclable cardboard packaging.
- They have been found to stimulate hair growth by strengthening hair follicles.
- Natural shampoo bars promotes healthy production of hair oils thus improving overall condition of scalp and hair.
- They come with a milder and more natural aroma, are often non-allergenic and do not irritate the skin or scalp.
- The natural shampoo bars are normally free from harmful chemicals and synthetic ingredients.
- Shampoo bars are easy to pack when traveling, safe and so convenient to use, and leave a lower carbon footprint due to size and weight.
The most common ingredients of natural shampoo bars include:
- Coconut oil – a product known for its many health benefits and was used by our ancestors to make their hair healthy and shiny, long before synthetic shampoos!
- Cold pressed castor oil – a medicinal product which is also proven to possess anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Cold pressed olive oil – a famous ancient commodity known to replace hair moisture and elasticity which also has antioxidant properties.
- Jojoba oil – an herbal oil known as effective hair conditioner, providing moisture to the hair and promoting new hair growth.
- Organic shea butter – providing luster and shine.
- Grapeseed oil – a highly conditioning ingredient known to provide a good creamy and stable lather.
Natural shampoo bars are concentrated, not needing water components unlike its liquid counterpart. These solid plastic-free natural shampoo bars can also be multi-purpose, often used as wash soap when traveling or camping, also known to be used as shampoo for pets.
There are different varieties of shampoo bars designed especially certain hair types, which will have specific ingredients from the above list but will also differ in the percentage of oil: –
- Shampoo bars for Greasy hair – normally made with non-aggressive sebum-controlling ingredients such as lavender and aloe vera, generally made with less oily ingredients as the hair is already oily.
- Shampoo bars for dry and frizzy hair – normally made with a higher percentage of oily ingredients.
- Shampoo bars for normal hair is made with a balanced percentage of oily ingredients.
One shampoo bar can often outperform bottled liquid shampoos about three or four times over, to help a shampoo bar last even longer, leave to dry on a slotted soap dish after use, do not leave it in water or store a wet bar in a tin or other closed container.
Many people who have used natural shampoo bars had found them to be widely more beneficial than their previously used liquid shampoo! So, join them today and switch across to a solid plastic-free natural shampoo bar!
Click here to see some of the many options available!