Eco Hair Gel
Hair wax and hair gel have become an important part of grooming to hold the hair in place and to make hair styling easy. However, the most common hair gels are sold in non-biodegradable plastic tubes or plastic tubs which often end up in landfills where it stays for hundreds of years while it breaks down and then only into smaller micro plastics which often get washed down waterways into the oceans.
Most of the common hair gels and styling products are also chemically formulated which may cause irritation to the hair and scalp and some of which can cause harm to the environment when washed out.
Fortunately, there are options where we can both care for our hair and look good, as well as looking after our planet, these options are by using natural hair wax and eco hair gels! Here are some reasons why these are a great idea:
- Natural hair wax and eco hair gels are normally sold in reusable or recyclable tin containers, so not adding to the plastic waste problem.
- Most options of natural hair wax are made from ethically collected organic ingredients like organic plants, vegetables, flowers, seeds, and tree extracts.
- Natural hair wax and eco hair gels are normally free from synthetic or harmful chemicals, so protecting your hair, scalp and body from any damaging effects (please see below for list of ingredients to avoid).
When purchasing hair wax or gels be sure to check they do not contain any of the following harmful ingredients, listed in alphabetical order:
- Alcohols (Short Chain Alcohols) – although most hair products will contain some form of alcohol “Short Chain Alcohols” such as SD Alcohol 40, Ethanol, Propyl, Propanol and Isopropyl should be avoided as these can dry out your hair causing damage.
- Dimethicone – which is a synthetic polymer (silicone) – this too will dry out your hair and can also cause greasy roots and very heavy ends, in some cases have also resulted in an itchy or burning scalp.
- Formaldehyde – which is potentially a carcinogen (having the capacity to cause cancer in humans) when mixed with other chemicals, this has also been linked to asthma.
- Parabens – are any ingredients ending with the word ‘paraben’ like butylparaben, methylparaben and ethylparaben! As parabens have been linked to skin irritation, neurotoxicity and some reproductive issues.
- Phthalates – such as dimethyl phthalate these are sometime hidden under the word “fragrance”. These have been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer and breast development and also is said to possibly cause reproductive birth defects in both males and females.
- Polyethylene Glycol (also known as PEGs) – another chemical which is said to be linked to developmental issues in the body.
- Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) and VA Copolymer – this is a chemical derived from petroleum which is often used in hair styling products. This is said to cause irritation to the scalp, and in some cases has been said to have contributed to respiratory problems.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) – chemicals causing well known concerns of kidney failure and carcinogen (having the capacity to cause cancer in humans) when mixed with other chemicals.
- Triclosan – causing potential irritation to the scalp.
- Triethanolamine – a highly absorptive chemical which can cause irritation of the skin and eyes, in some cases has also been linked to to asthma and allergic reactions.
So now we have freaked you our with the dangers of some chemicals, lets reflect again on the natural hair wax and eco hair gels which should be free of all these, or at least the more damaging ingredients.
Why not switch from common forms of hair gel, wax and clay sold in plastic containers and potentially with some damaging chemicals and opt instead to use natural hair wax or eco hair gels!
For some options of natural hair wax and eco hair gels, click here